Town of Almond, New York
The first part of the town to be settled was near Karrdale in 1796. When Allegany County was established in 1806, the region now in the Town of Almond was part of the Town of Alfred. The Town of Almond was formed in 1821. After Almond was established, parts were removed to form the towns of West Almond and Birdsall. A history of the area, The Almond Story - The Early Years, was published by John Reynolds, Town Historian, in 1962.
According to Mr. Reynolds, the town is named for a place in Scotland, and not for the nut, which would most likely not have been available here in the wilderness when the town was named. Consequently, the pronunciation is not the same as that of the nut: the word Almond properly begins with the same sound as the nearby towns of Alfred, Alma, Addison, and Angelica.
The Almond Historical Society maintains a museum of local history at the Hagadorn House, a large yellow house on the corner by the town's only traffic light. The House was built in 1830 and features a large open fireplace and stone oven with original cookware, which had been walled in to conserve heat, but was rediscovered by the last couple to occupy the House, Ken and Marie Hagadorn. These Hagadorns had no children, and left their house to the then-recently formed Historical Society in 1971 to serve as a Museum of treasured furniture, clothing, tools, artwork, and much more. The Society maintains genealogical records and news files for families in the town in the adjacent archives building. The archives are open to the public Fridays from 2 - 4 p.m., and the Museum may be visited at that time or by appointment. The Society holds several open houses throughout the year and publishes a quarterly newsletter.
The Almond 20th Century Club Library had its beginning in 1904, when a small group of energetic and forward-thinking women of the community formed a Reading Circle with weekly meetings. Today, the Library offers up-to-date computers, free wifi, and extensive collections of books, audiobooks, and DVDs for all ages, with access to the resources of the Southern Tier Library System, of which it is a member. It has regular story and craft times for children, a book discussion group for adults, an annual mystery theater, and meeting rooms available for use by the public. The Library's historic brick building, constructed in 1912, is in need of major renovation, and various fund-raising activities are being held.
* THE ALMOND TOWN CLERK'S OFFICE OFFERS NOTARY SERVICES
TOWN OF ALMOND, NY
1 Marvin Lane
P.O. Box K
Almond, NY 14804